Period cramps are a common problem faced by many women during their menstrual cycle. These cramps, also known as amenorrhea, can run from mild distress to intense pain that can intrude into our daily activities.
In this article, we will explore the causes of period cramps, how they feel, and some of the fastest ways to lessen them at home.
What is period cramp
Period cramps occur in the lower abdomen and are painful sensations that occur in the downward part of the abdomen during menstruation.
They are caused by the uterus contracting to shed its lining, which can cause pain and distress. While mild cramps are usually normal during menstruation, severe pain can be a sign of an underlying situation such as endometriosis or uterine fibroids.
What causes period cramps?
Period cramps are induced by the release of a hormone-like substance called prostaglandins that can cause the uterus to contract. This contraction helps to expel the lining of the uterus and also can cause pain.
The number of prostaglandins yielded varies from individual too, that’s the reason, women undergo more severe cramps than others.
7 fastest ways to relieve period cramps :
- Heart therapy: Applying a heat pack or taking a warm bath can relax muscles around the abdomen and reduce the pain of period cramps.
- Dietary changes: Eating a balanced diet that is rich in fruits, whole grains and vegetables can help to reduce hives and enhance menstrual health.
- Acupuncture: This medical technique originated from the traditional Chinese, it involves the insertion of thin needles into specific points on the body to create a reduction in pain and relaxation.
- Massage therapy: A gentle massage of the back and lower region of the abdomen can help to ease cramping by relaxing the muscles and increasing blood flow.
- Herbal remedies: Some herbal treatments such as ginger, chamomile and cinnamon have been proven to have anti-inflammatory and pain-relieving contents, which may help in reducing period cramps.
- Exercise: Light exercises such as yoga or walking help to increase blood discharge and reduce cramps.
- Avoid caffeine and salty food: During this period some foods are better to eat than others. It’s also a good idea to restrict foods that can cause, bloating, discomfort and water retention.
How to get rid of period cramps fast at home:
- Apply a heat pack or take a warm bath to loosen up the muscles in your abdomen
- Try light exercise to increase blood outpour and reduce cramping
- Take a break from stressful activities and have a nice rest
What do period cramps feel like?
Period cramps can have different feelings, but their often description is a dull pain in the lower abdomen. Some women do experience cramping in the hips, back, and thighs. The pain also gets involved in other symptoms such as headaches, bloating or nausea.
Summery: If your period cramps are severe and interfere with your daily activities, or if you experience other symptoms such as heavy bleeding or irregular periods, it’s important to speak with your healthcare provider to rule out any underlying conditions.