Another English club is gearing up for a Major Takeover as Iranian-American billionaire, Jahm Najafi, who chairs MSP Sports Capital, is reportedly considering a takeover bid for Tottenham Hotspur.
If the bid is successful, it would value the club at around $3 billion (€2.8bn), with an additional $750 million (€699.8m) of debt. Najafi is reportedly working with a consortium of investors, some of whom are based in the Gulf, who will contribute 30% of the purchase price, while MSP will provide the remaining 70%. The formal presentation of the bid is expected to be made to Tottenham’s owner Joe Lewis and chair Daniel Levy in the coming weeks.
Tottenhamhas not yet commented on the potential bid. The club, which is currently managed by Antonio Conte, has not won any major trophies since the League Cup in 2008. Tottenham is currently ranked fifth in the Premier League with 39 points after 23 games, and it is two points behind the top four teams.
Other Premier League clubs, including Manchester United and Liverpool, are also seeking investment, with Qatari investors reportedly preparing to bid for Manchester United and INEOS, led by Jim Ratcliffe, formally entering the bidding process last month. Najafi is also a minority shareholder in the Phoenix Suns, an NBA team.